Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Izzy is wedged so far in the back of that doghouse...

Izzy and I went to the fairgrounds again yesterday, started out great as we were the only ones there. Continued to be great for about 25 minutes and Izzy had great recalls and was having an absolute blast, she had a major frapping thing going on.

Then...it all went to crap. Izzy, the dog with the perfect recall who always listens (as long as there aren't other dogs close by) and checks in with me every few seconds...failed.
There was a bird hopping around and she saw it, and then her brain flew out of her fluffy butt and that was the end. She took off, full tilt after the bird, I recalled her. She didn't even think about coming back, didn't even slow down. Just ran and ran. I waited a little bit, tried again, nothing.

So I just stood there and fumed as that little brat chased that stupid bird all over the place! I think the bird was taunting her, it didn't go above 2 feet off the ground and would fly ahead, land, look back and call at her. Regardless, I was not a happy camper.

Eventually she got tired and then she had the audacity to come sprinting back to see if I'd give her cookies. She didn't get any cookies. Though I did give her pets and made myself act happy because I didn't want her to associate coming back to me as being a bad thing. Not sure if it would work after she's been associating it with good things for almost 3 years, but why risk it?

We went straight home and Izzy is in the doghouse for all of the foreseeable future.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Izz!!! Chasing birds may be fun now, but leave your ears ON, it'd be worth it! My mommy has extra special snacks when I spin on a dime and ignore deer running... I'm sure your mommy does too!

-Buzz

Lauren said...

She does! But I really wanted the bird and I'm a pain in the ass.

-Izzy

LOL!

Ed. said...

"Though I did give her pets and made myself act happy because I didn't want her to associate coming back to me as being a bad thing."

God, that's like the hardest thing in the world, isn't it? Good for you for pulling it off!

Lauren said...

It is hard, I was SO mad!
Thanks :)