Saturday, October 25, 2008

The new secret weapon...

cat food. Canned cat food. O.o

My trainer decided to try and tempt Izzy last night with Nature's Variety canned cat food. She flipped. It was like crack and she wanted it right now dammit! So her new, only for retrieval work, treat is canned cat food. I am sure that I'll pay for it dearly when her stomach figures out that she is getting something new, but if it gets me a complete retrieve than I am willing to do it short term.

At the beginning of class I loaded the box so my trainer could take pictures of her sheltie on the box. Izzy sat behind me but every time I started calling for Banner (the dog), she would try and pop up between my legs and generally be annoying <.<
At least she didn't care about the noise that the box made...

We did some hurdle work and whoa boy! The bike riding has definitely increased her stamina. I couldn't believe it, she was flying! Before we left we did a bit of passing work and Izzy did well, she doesn't usually have a problem with that kind of stuff...

For getting Izzy used to the box my trainer stood behind the last jump and I stood with my foot on the box so that Izzy had to actually jump onto the box and do pretty much a complete box turn to get off the box. I would call her and get her all excited, my trainer would release her to take the jump and then she would do a box turn and go over the jump again to get treats from my trainer. She doesn't seem to think it's as fun as just running the hurdles, but it's okay because she still gets treats *sigh*

Overall it was a very good night :)

Now I have to go steal some of Inky's cat food to work on retrieves...

No comments: